Dec03

Thoughts on coming back from injury, life, and recent events…

After being out for so long, God has reminded me of why football is so important in my life. Time away has this effect on me anyway, but especially when coupled with the sudden and sad news in Kansas City.  This game has aligned many things for me, and despite the recent challenges, tragedies, and growing concern for player health, it has enforced virtues, tempted passions, and it has helped reveal to me my own spiritual deficiencies.

I cant help but feel fortunate, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to play this game. I am a better man than I was, still learning and growing, yet far from good enough to be counted among the worthy. May God give us the strength to overcome the many adversities life brings. Thank you all for your sincerest kind words and prayers. I am eternally thankful for them. Pray not just for me, but for all of us who are in need. Many times the veil of money, a smile, even laughter conceals the inner turmoil one goes through.

-Troy

16 Comments

Leave Your Own
  1. Jessica Price

Growing up in a household that didn’t watch sports, & then being married for 15 years to a man that also did not watch sports, I have only become a football fan in the last two years. What this means is that I was able to find the teams & players I liked based on what I’VE seen in the last two years instead of just liking a team because of someone’s influence. That being said, I have 3 teams that I watch, & you are the only individual player that I’ve followed. I’m learning that I missed out on a LOT of great years from you! Most importantly, I hope you find great health & great peace, but I also hope to see you back in the game! Many prayers!

• susan rodriguez

Once Again Troy you amaze me Your thoughts gave me chills and brought a tear to my eye I wear the 43 Jersey proudly Not only because you’re and excellent athlete and play for my all time favorite team but because you are truly an amazing human being if more people were like you especially those in spotlight this world would truly be a spectacular place! Thank you Troy polumalu God bless you and your family!

2. Suzanne H.

Thank you for being such a good role model. It seems like so many sports figures and celebrities get caught up in the hype of being labeled a “star” that they lose touch not only with themselves but with others. You are one of my all time favorite football players and not just because you play for the Steelers, but because you “keep it real” both on and off the field. It was great to see you playing again on Sunday and to watch the Steelers beat the Ravens!

3. Patricia Zick (@PCZick)

Dear Troy,
    I’m a recent transplant to Pittsburgh. My husband is a die-hard Steelers fan so I had no choice but to become one myself. Yesterday when the final field goal was made, I cried tears of joy and sobbed when I saw Charlie hug Ben. It was pure joy to see you gracefully take the field and once again lift the spirits of all those around you. I surprised myself (and my husband) by the emotion I felt for all of you who have done your best to make the Steel City proud. Yesterday was well-deserved and appreciated by this new yet loyal fan. Thank you.

4. Christina S.

You’re an amazing, humble person Troy. I will always be a fan of yours and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Great game yesterday!

5. Ryan Mendez

Beautiful, eloquent and powerful words filled with meaning on and off the field. Welcome back Troy, you continue to remain in our hearts and thoughts and it was great seeing you with your teammates again.

6. Nancy Kolodziejski

I have been a Steelers fan since Lynn Swann & Franco Harris graced the field! You are the reason I watch today, and I miss seeing you out there making those plays that only you can make! BE WELL SOON,TROY! And many, many blessings to you and yours this Christmas season.

7. Sarah Myers

I wore my NO PASSING ZONE shirt great to have you back. Of all the teams I’m glad you all beat the Ravens; but am extra glad not one was hurt. Have been with the Steelers since 1970 through the good and the bad, your still the best team out there and the best family team. You are a true family and team. Stay healthly Love your #1 fan and Mother figure.

8. Denise Palazzolo

Troy it was such a good site to see you back on the Field you were truely Missed.
    I would like to Thank You for being True to your Faith and your Family. I also where your Jersey have several of them with alot of Pride. Thanks for being Loyal,Passionate about your job and most of all having Heart. Stay Safe

9. linda

Troy i’m so happy that you are back. I would like to say you are an amazing man your views on life and religion are very comforting. I would like to say THANK YOU for all your encouraging words . sometimes your post just make me look at things in a different way that i hadn’t thought of. Hope all stays great with you. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. Love Linda Hill

10. Victoria Leau-Lafotanoa

As our Samoan motto says: “Faamuamua Le Atua” (Put God First). You portray that very well on and off the field. I am ecstatically overjoyed to see you back on the field, oh how I’ve missed watching you. Praying that you will have a healthy rest of the season and we are rooting for you from Hawaii nei. Alofa le Atua e tuuina atu le malosi fou ia te oe. Blessings to you and the family, Soifua!

11. Mary Kay Kramer

It was so wonderful to see you back on the field yesterday, and walking off it without re-injuring your calf!! Thank you for being a truly good person and for all the charitable work you do. You are the BEST!!! Welcome back.

12. Bill Ellis

I have watched football since 1968 when I returned home from Viet Nam. Pittsburgh has been “my” team from that time forward. I have had two “favorite” players since 1968 – number 58 and you. I hope you remain healthy for the rest of your life. It was so good to see you play again.

13. bobyarina@aol.com

troy,really glad to see you back,and healthy.you may remember me from river view golf course in garden grove,ca,i found your grandmothers sunglasses. peace bob

14. Beatriz

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, therefore
    he/she wants to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.

15. Jerry Yoon

Hey troy, i am your fan from China.
    Well I have to tell you that you are my favorite NFL player cuz you play so tough .